Call Now: 1-800-566-1002

How to Transfer a 403(b), Plan to an IRA

If you no longer work for the employer that set up your 403 (b) account, your balance can be rolled into an individual retirement account (IRA) or traditional individual retirement account.

The difference between a rollover or an asset transfer is the location of the money before it is moved.

You should also consult with your 403(b) plan administrator/carrier to ensure the proper paperwork is completed. To have your assets distributed, you may need to fill out a distribution request form. Your IRA custodian may also need to send an acceptance letter to the administrator. This letter confirms that the assets will be deposited into a qualified retirement plan.

Can You Rollover Traditional IRA Into a 403B?

To gain more investment options, individuals may consider rolling over a portion of their 403(b), as the options in a 403 (b) plan can sometimes be limited.

Generally, a signed contribution form from the IRA trustee or custodian is all that is required to deposit funds into an IRA. To avoid any delays, it is a good idea to consult your IRA custodian regarding their policies and procedures.

Market price returns are calculated using the closing market price for the previous day, which is the average of the four-hour midpoint bid-ask price. ET. The market price returns are not indicative of the returns that an investor would receive if shares had been traded at other times.

Rollover refers to the transfer of assets from an employer-sponsored retirement plan (e.g. 401(k), 403(b) or 403(b) into an IRA.

Start by deciding which type of IRA you want. Call the financial company that manages your former employer’s retirement plan to have your savings transferred into an IRA.

Rollovers usually take between 2 and 4 weeks to complete. To learn more about the time frame, please contact your plan provider.

Some 403(b), plans may also offer matching contributions

These plans tend to vest faster than 401(k), funds. Participants in 403(b), if they have worked with non-profits or government agencies, can make additional catch up contributions.

If a withdrawal is made before the age of 59 1/2, a 10% penalty will be assessed. If the employee leaves the employer before 55, the penalty can be avoided.